This year’s EFG London Jazz Festival seminar, hosted by a partnership between the MU and Serious (the producer of live jazz and contemporary music) at London’s Southbank Centre, explored how jazz musicians and organisations cope with economic, cultural and technological changes within the music industry as well as the wider world.
The panel discussed a wide range of issues, including:
– Is the infrastructure for jazz in the UK working?
– Retaining the integrity and heritage of jazz as an artform
– Embracing new ideas and approaches
– Co-operation and collaboration – developing new partnerships and pooling resources
– Developing new audiences and retaining current fans
– Education: are we doing enough to inspire the next generation?
Chaired by the MU Executive Committee Chair, Kathy Dyson, the event was recorded for future distribution as a podcast, see the MU website for more information.