I prepared and edited the latest edition of MU News this week, the Union’s regular email to over 24,000 working musicians, which is a valued benefit of membership.
- MU responds to Government announcement of continued Music Education Hub investment
The announcement of continued investment into Music Education Hubs for a further four years will provide welcome relief to those working in music education. Especially for those who have struggled in recent years by not knowing what their future funding arrangements are likely to be. The MU is also pleased that the Government has acknowledged the importance of both access and opportunity to music making facilities for all children in England.
- MU welcomes London Night Czar appointment
The MU offers its congratulations to Amy Lamé on her appointment as the capital’s very first Night Czar.
- Blog: call for Musicians’ Loading Zones in UK
With parking restrictions putting live music at risk, support our timely call for Musicians’ Loading Zones.
- Catch up on key health issues via BAPAM News
Read BAPAM’s latest newsletter, which includes valuable info on Focal Dystonia and much more.
- New 1,000 capacity venue for Edinburgh
Plans are underway to build a new £45m world-class arts venue in the heart of Edinburgh New Town.
- MU North of England Facebook Group
Members of the North of England Region are encouraged to join the recently created Facebook group.
- Disclosure & Barring checks – deadline
Need a DBS check before Christmas? Please note the deadline for applications: 14 Dec.
- Freelancers are losing £5k a year to free work
This Young Workers’ Month blog focuses on working for no fee and how it affects young players.
- Disability History Month: Musical Expression
Music service T.I.M.E. share their experiences in providing musical expression opportunities for all.
- Day for Elimination of Violence Against Women
The UN has designated 25 Nov as International Day for Elimination of Violence Against Women.
- International Showcase Fund for Scotland
PRS for Music Foundation have announced that Creative Scotland is a new partner for the vital Fund.
- Help Musicians UK launch in N Ireland
Help Musicians Northern Ireland launched with with the opening of a dedicated office in the city.
- Women in Music event at London’s City Hall
AIM has announced the return of the annual Women in Music conference on 16 January 2017.
- Music Gateway Premium Accounts discount offer
Benefit from a cutting-edge global B2B platform aimed at musicians and music industry professionals.
- Asked to work for free over the holiday period?
Outraged by being asked to work for free? Get involved in our Work Not Play campaign right now!
- Support live music at Dirty Dancing demo
28 November, Wolverhampton
Join us prior to the opening performance of Dirty Dancing at Wolverhampton’s Grand.
- Freelance Working seminar – Cult Cymru
1 December, Cardiff
Practical workshop for all creatives on the must-have business skills for freelancing.
- GFTU: The Art of Trade Unions
6 December, Bedford
The Art of Trade Unions will showcase how cultural work can assist trade union organising and training.
- New Members’ Social Networking Evening
13 December, London
New members are invited to meet their London Regional Officials and staff at MU HQ.
- Music Leader Training Programme
14 January 2017, Bristol
Increase your knowledge, skills and experience in the community arts sector.
- Music & Drama Education Expo
9 & 10 Feb 2017, London
Visit Europe’s leading free CPD event for music teachers and find out about the latest education developments.
Links to regular help & advice: Find musicians and network / Get involved in campaigns / Update your profile / How the Union works
Regional News: London / East & SE England / Midlands / Wales & SW England / North of England / Scotland & N Ireland
Plus The Musician in audio. MU members can access The Musician journal directly from the Union’s website and read it online, download a copy as a pdf, or listen to it in full via a series of audio files.